We hiked into Jims Creek everyday where there was a buildup of carbon monoxide and the air was dead calm. Charlie Miller spent about an hour cutting this giant pine that was 5 feet in diameter, with a 24 inch bar on his saw. The tree had to come down because it had fire in the broken top where a rotten spot burned through. I cut a wedges out of oak stumps, and Charlie drove them into kerfs cut into the base of the tree, and stood on them to complete cuts on the downhill side. The downhill side was about 15 feet off the ground!!! If he fell with the saw it would of been ugly.
jims creek fireCharlie Millertree fellingtree falling